Unlimited Cash Back Match
The robust, well-rounded benefits make the Discover it® Cash Back card an easy choice and the unique cash back match bonus they offer the first year really sets it apart from the competition. It is a stand-out option for those with good to excellent credit (a 670 – 850* credit score).
Discover it® Cash Back
Earn 1% Unlimited Cash Back On All Other Purchases – Automatically
670 – 850*
Critics' OverviewIf you are looking for a credit card that offers a great balance of cash back rewards with a generous intro APR period, then the Discover it® Cash Back card should be at the top of your list. You’ll save money on interest, never pay an annual fee, earn impressive cash back on your everyday spending and have all of the cash back you’ve earned in your first year automatically matched. We dig into all the important details below.
Card Details From Discover
- INTRO OFFER: Unlimited Cashback Match – only from Discover. Discover will automatically match all the cash back you’ve earned at the end of your first year! There’s no minimum spending or maximum rewards. You could turn $150 cash back into $300.
- Earn 5% cash back on everyday purchases at different places each quarter like Amazon.com, grocery stores, restaurants, and gas stations, up to the quarterly maximum when you activate. Plus, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases – automatically.
- Discover could help you reduce exposure of your personal information online by helping you remove it from select people-search sites that could sell your data. It’s free, activate with the mobile app.
- Every $1 you earn in cash back is $1 you can redeem.
- Get a 0% intro APR for 15 months on purchases. Then 16.99% to 27.99% Standard Variable Purchase APR applies, based on credit worthiness.
- No annual fee.
- Click through to Discover’s website to see terms and conditions.
Our Critical Analysis
- The dollar for dollar cash back match bonus at the end of your first year has no limit, so the earning potential is huge.
- The intro APR period for purchases and balance transfers is generous, especially considering all of the other cash back benefits.
- There is no annual fee.
- Cash back redemption options are flexible (any amount and any time) and robust (statement credit, deposited into your bank account, used at Amazon.com checkout).
- You have to activate the 5% category each quarter. They make it easy to do so online or over the phone, but it’s still a step that must be taken (otherwise you earn 1%).
- The 5% category cash back is capped at $1,500 in combined purchases each quarter (you earn 1% after that cap is met).
The Discover it® Cash Back card is likely the most well-rounded card we review as it checks all of the boxes that are important to most credit card seekers. You’ll earn a generous 5% back on everyday purchases at different places each quarter like Amazon.com, grocery stores, restaurants and gas stations (up to $1,500 in combined purchases each quarter, then you earn 1%). You do have to activate the 5% categories each quarter, but they make it easy to do so online or over the phone. You will earn 1% back on all of your other purchases.
Their unique cash back bonus can really add up to a big payout at the end of your first year. All of the cash back you’ve earned in that first year is matched. There are no minimums or hoops to jump through to earn this bonus. It’s easy and can be very lucrative if you use your card regularly and take advantage of the 5% categories. If you prefer a more traditional cash rewards intro bonus then you may want to check out the Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards credit card.
Getting approved for the Discover it® Cash Back card also means you’ll get a 0% Intro APR on purchases and on balance transfers for 15 months, then 16.99% – 27.99% Variable APR. There is an intro balance transfer fee of 3% that goes up to 5% on future balance transfers (see terms), but this fee is usually worth it if you’re currently carrying a balance on another card that charges interest.
Discover rounds out its benefits with quite a few additional perks for their card holders. Free credit scores, no foreign transaction fees, free social security number monitoring and 25 card designs to choose from are just a few. It is hard to believe with all of the amazing benefits we have outlined but there is no annual fee for this card. Click ‘Apply Now‘ to view all the additional benefits this card has to offer.
Editorial Note: Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer.
*CardCritics references a FICO® 8 score, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when evaluating your application.